I have told you before that I grew up in the summer time at my Grammie’s place in Avalon, NJ. I worked in a deli for about 8 summers….so naturally I take the art of sandwich making to a whole new level. This easy Italian pressed sandwich is perfect to make ahead…cut up and wrap for a quick picnic at the park or on the go. I tamed the recipe a bit so that everyone will like it…but feel free to spice it up a bit with your favorite condiment. I shared this last week over at Jen’s (Tatertots and Jello) but I wanted to share it here too in case you missed it…..
Everyone going in all directions all school year long….it is nice when things slow down a bit in the summer time. I hope you are finding time to visit the pool together, maybe a day in the park, going for ice cream…all those things that we love about the lazy days of summer. This little pressed picnic sandwich is a perfect way to make eating on the go easy and fun. You can really add in anything you like. This version is kids friendly…so I didn’t add in anything too spicy. Take along a bag of chips…some fruit…yummy treat and your picnic is all set!
Pressed Picnic Sandwich Recipe
- Here is what you will need:
- ciabatta loaf
- baked ham
- oil vinegar sub mix
- romaine lettuce
- slice long ways down the entire bread and open it up
- layer cheese on (I cut my slices in half and placed on each side of bread)
- layer lettuce
- layer ham
- drizzle a bit of oil ( placing it in between meats will prevent from bread getting soggy)
- layer salami
- layer any other items you may want (red roasted peppers are great here)
- close the bread
- wrap in double saran wrap
- place in fridge with a heavy weight on the top
- when ready to leave, unwrap and re wrap with wax paper, slice up on the diagonal
I used this ready made “sub” mix (let’s just call it hoagie….because that it what it is…:) and we really liked it! If you cannot find this….use some olive oil, red wine vinegar (or balsamic) and a bit of oregano…just as good.
You’re ready to grab and go!
Summer in a sandwich:)