Hi all! Happy new year! I hope that your families break was a restful one. We had some really great family time and got caught up! It seems like it flew by. I could have used one more week. But that seems to be the case anymore with how busy life gets. I wanted to start off the new year with a classic soup recipe but this one cooks up all day in your slow cooker. A perfect soup to come home to after a long day in the cold….
I have posted a few other tomato soup recipes in the past. This one is perfect for a crowd. If you are just making it for your family I would cut it in half. As you can see from the picture below my slow cooker was packed I couldn’t fit anything else in there.
I did end up sharing it with our family so it worked out great. If you don’t have an immersion blender I would invest in one for this winter. I’m going to be sharing a few other soup recipes that really make easy weeknight dinners but the immersion blender is a requirement. Here is a link to one that I like…(affiliate link)
All you do is plug it in and blend it up right in the container. There’s no need to pour some in a blender and risk splattering it all over your kitchen. Hot liquid and blenders just don’t mix. I speak from experience. Live and learn. Perfect soup with a classic grilled cheese sandwich or maybe a grilled panini sandwich. Make some tonight and eat it all week:)
Crock Pot Tomato Soup Recipe
- 3 large carrots peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 2 small sweet onions roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and left whole
- 2-3 teaspoons salt start with less and add to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 28-ounce cans whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 C basil rough chopped
- 1/2 C heavy cream
- Freshly grated Parmesan for garnish, optional
- Place all of the ingredients, except for half and half and Parmesan into a very large slow cooker. Top with the lid and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 5-7 hours. The vegetables should be very soft at that point.
- Use immersion blender (with foil covering slow cooker to contain splatter) and blend until smooth. Add in heavy cream and keep warm.
- Taste for additional spices.
- Serve up and sprinkle with Parmesan.
adapted from DesignMom