This recipe makes really great use of all the fresh tomatoes from our gardens right now. All the ingredients are fresh, tasty and make this lasagna light instead of heavy. It can be made ahead too. Love that! Here is how you put together some Fresh Tomato Lasagna…
In a medium skillet over medium-low heat, melt butter. Sauté onions and 1/4 teaspoon salt until soft, about 20 minutes. Add sugar, raise heat to medium, and cook, stirring frequently, until onions begin to brown, 5 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons water and stir to deglaze skillet. Cook until onions are brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Set aside.
Meanwhile…blend artichokes and sundried tomatoes…set aside. Chop up rosemary. Cook noodles. Now you are ready to layer.
Caramelized onions are God’s way of saying I love you….they are that good :)
Rub olive oil on pan…lay three noodles….top with artichoke mixture…tomatoes…cheese…rosemary. Continue to layer..ending with noodles and some cheese. Cover with foil tightly and bake.
Serves 4 (recipe adapted from Country Living’s version)
- 2 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter
- 1 large Vidalia onions, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) sugar
- 8 lasagna noodles
- 1.5 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1/2 jar artichokes, 1/2 jar sundried tomatoes in oil (blend in food processor)
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 1 to 2 sprig(s) fresh rosemary, finely chopped (1 tablespoon)
- 8 ounce(s) mozzarella, grated (about 2 cups)
- 1 French baguette
- In a medium skillet over medium-low heat, melt butter. Sauté onions and 1/4 teaspoon salt until soft, about 20 minutes. Add sugar, raise heat to medium, and cook, stirring frequently, until onions begin to brown, 5 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons water and stir to deglaze skillet. Cook until onions are brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook lasagna noodles following package instructions. Drain and drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil over noodles.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Brush bottom of a 9 by 9-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Lay 3 noodles side by side, covering bottom of dish. Spread 2 tablespoons artichoke mixture over noodles, followed by one-third of tomatoes, rosemary, pepper, one-third of reserved onions, and mozzarella. Repeat with 2 more layers. Place remaining 3 noodles over top of lasagna and drizzle with remaining olive oil. Cover with aluminum foil and bake until cooked through, about 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, tear bread from crust into large breadcrumbs. In a large skillet, melt remaining butter. Add breadcrumbs; toss. ( I just tossed Italian breadcrumbs on mine)
- Remove lasagna from oven, uncover, and top with breadcrumbs and remaining mozzarella. Bake until cheese melts, about 5 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Sharing at HOH