Spring is around the corner…I can feel it. This potato soup is perfect for busy baseball nights…or just a quiet weekend evening at home. It cooks up quick and reheats nicely too. Pair it with a hearty salad and you are good to go! Pssss…this recipe is low calorie too….and you won’t even realize all the fat that is missing:)
An immersion blender will make this job really easy. If you haven’t picked one up yet you can use a blender…just do it in batches and be careful. I like to keep the soup in the pot…cover loosely with a piece of foil and place the immersion blender in from the side. Blend away…with no mess!
Of course….a bit of left over bacon…with some freshly shredded cheddar never hurt anyone…am I right?!?!
Go forth and enjoy some potato soup:)
- 1 T butter
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 t thyme
- 5 C chopped peeled potatoes
- 2 C water
- 4 C low sodium chicken broth
- ½ C half and half
- ½ t salt
- Heat butter and oil in large pot.
- Add onions and celery. Saute about 8 minutes
- Add in garlic and thyme
- Add in potatoes, water, broth. Bring to boil. Then reduce to simmer about 15 minutes.
- When potatoes are tender, loosely cover pot with foil and use immersion blender to cream the soup.
- Add in half and half and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with shredded cheddar and bacon on top:)