Grab your grilled cheese people…you gonna wanna go dippin…I have shared some other tomato soup versions that are equally as tasty. However the ease of this one…and the flavor…it is really the perfect ending to day. I personally would double this and keep some in the fridge. All you need is a salad and maybe a grilled cheese and your done….a fabulous fall meal;)
I like croutons and parmesan on the top…whatever you like…go for it.
- An immersion blender makes it really easy to puree….if you don’t have one…you will need to place the hot mixture in a blender. Do this in batches…steam will rise up and you can easily get burned…(that is why I like the immersion blender…you can just puree it all in the big pot that is already dirty:)
Also be sure to use high quality tomatoes…I love MuirGlen…
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt
- 1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, with juices
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- pinch of dried basil
- ½ clove of garlic minced
- 1 cup croutons
- 2 ounces Parmesan, shaved
- Cook the onions in the oil with ½ teaspoon salt in a large pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken broth, and oregano, garlic, basil. Simmer until beginning to thicken, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth (or use immersion blender)
- Top with the croutons and Parmesan before serving.