Get out your food processor to make quick work of shredding the cheese. Just a note here…I know you are tempted to buy the pre-shredded cheese. But did you know there is cellulose on that cheese? That is what prevents it from all sticking together into one big mess ball o cheese. So for this recipe…go ahead and shred your own cheese. Cause I like to stay away from plastic in my mac n cheese….Seriously the cheese will melt like butta’….oh yummmmm!
You can make this ahead and bake it when you want to serve. Just a thought ;)
- 1 (16 ounce) package macaroni
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 8 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 to taste fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded good quality
- 1 cup breadcrumbs, buttered
- How to make:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cook and drain macaroni according to package directions; set aside.
- In a large saucepan melt butter.
- Add flour mixed with salt and pepper, using a whisk to stir until well blended.
- Pour milk and cream in gradually; stirring constantly.
- Bring to boiling point and boil 2 minutes (stirring constantly).
- Reduce heat and cook (stirring constantly) 10 minutes.
- Add shredded cheddar little by little and simmer an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- Turn off flame.
- Add macaroni to the saucepan and toss to coat with the cheese sauce.
- Transfer macaroni to a buttered baking dish.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Bake 20 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- (You can also freeze this recipe in zip-lock bags for later use – once you have mixed the macaroni along with the cheese sauce allow to cool to room temperature before adding to your freezer – I generally pull it out the night before and allow macaroni and cheese to reach room temperature; I then add the macaroni and cheese to a buttered baking dish, sprinkle with bread crumbs and then bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until golden brown on top and bubbling.