Ever use the spice Caraway? Me neither…so I was intrigued. I love the scent of it…and the taste. Makes me think of a warm rye bread….yummo! This soup comes together quick and it was a crowd pleaser in my house ;)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 10 ounces cremini or white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 medium carrots, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 4 slices pumpernickel bread
- 1/3 cup sour cream or creme fraeche
Meanwhile, combine the onion, vinegar and a pinch of salt in a bowl and let marinate while the soup simmers. Toast the bread.
Divide the soup among bowls and top with sour cream and the marinated onion. Serve with the toast.